Saturday, November 25, 2017

NOT HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

Harmony Farm House by Karen Masters
Here's a great story from one of my readers, Donnette, who wrote to me about the time their young family was moving from Alaska to Idaho at Christmastime.
We had a tough time of it and traveling was slow with 4 kids in a VW Rabbit pulling a trailer containing all of our earthly possessions. We had left Alaska with every intention of being home with our families for Christmas, but with unforseen circumstances, mostly flat tires on our trailer, that was not to be.


Donnette then tells of yet another flat tire -- and they weren't even halfway home. I can't imagine the frustration, especially with four young children in tow! Fortunately, the flat happened near a farm house, where they knocked on the door and asked if they could make a phone call.

The owners of the farmhouse gave them much more than access to a telephone:

He assured us that the only tire store was closed for the Holiday but also that he was a friend of the owner of the store so while he and my husband met the very kind gentleman at his store the farmers wife entertained my children and I with stories while she was making cabbage rolls for her family's celebration the next day. 
It wasn't long before our husband were back with the trailer in tow with two new tires on the trailer and one on the spare also.  We were on our way again with a case of oranges for our babies and the Spirit of Christmas in our hearts!
I asked Donnette if I could share her sweet story, and she graciously emailed back and gave me a few more details:


My story took place 25 years ago and we were in Alberta, Canada not too far from Edmonton where we ended up spending almost a week.  Our car gave up the ghost and we had to wait for my father in law to drive up in my parents' truck and camper to rescue us!  It is one of the best memories of our lives!

What a heart-warming story, Donnette -- thanks for sharing. 


Shawna

No comments:

Post a Comment